The Castle of Bouillon

The Castle of Bouillon

Built on three rocky peaks overlooking the Semois, the Bouillon fortified castle, with its maze of corridors and huge vaulted rooms, is considered the oldest and most interesting vestige of feudalism in Belgium.

The Origins

The origins of the first fortifications date back to the 8th century.
It was immortalized by Godfroid, leader of the first crusade (1096) and confessed of the Holy Sepulchre, who committed the castle to the Archbishopric of Liege to finance his expedition to the Holy Land.

The facilities

Finally, during the wars of Louis XIV, it will experience, under the wars of Louis XIV, major development work carried out by Vauban and will be occupied militarily until 1830.
But in addition to its historical wealth nourished by the legendary Godfroid de Bouillon, it is much more than a leap into the past that you will take when you visit the old ducal city.

The military role

This surveillance post belonged to the Ardenne-Verdun family, who also ran the Château-le-Duc, a 2 ha property surrounded by walls on the western edge of the Menuchenet forest on the heights of Bouillon, between Mogimont and Ucimont. At the beginning of the 11th century, it was part of the property of the Duke of Lotharingia, Gozelon I, great-great uncle of Godefroid de Bouillon. Godfroid II the Bearded, son of Gozelon, fortified the mound under the threat of Norman invasions which was to become the future fortified castle of Bouillon.
This Fortress is also strategic because of its geographical position in the Ardennes between Paris, Liège and Aachen. The castle is the envy of both the French crown and the Holy Roman Empire! The town of Bouillon, a small merchant town between the rock face and the Semois, is also developing below.


Let yourself be guided by the memory of the knights and be surprised by the ballet of birds of prey in the open air. Two exhibitions present these birds of prey but also the evolution of writing from the Middle Ages to our time (Scriptura).
The long rocky ridge created by the loop of the Semois was occupied, as early as the Gallic period, by a fortified camp at the place called La Ramonette. This hillock, a sort of watchtower 9 metres in diameter, overlooks the Semois valley and is surrounded by ditches cut into the rock.

Share this post

Partager sur facebook
Partager sur print
Partager sur email
libero felis felis suscipit Donec tempus